Old 08-10-2007, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Wormeries - are they worth having?

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| I like the flavour of apple pips, apricot kernels and the like.

It's a classic flavouring, after all.

Mmmmmmmmm - marzipan!

We are well adapted to eating
small quantities of cyanides, and they do little or no harm. Quite
a lot of our flavourings are poisonous in overdose.

Yes. That can be extended to 'diseases' too.

| I do rather like this one, though, with the concept of Mary Fisher
| being a modern Huckleberry Finn ("There ain't gonna be no core").
|
| I never read that book :-( I first ate an apple core when watching a
| fellow cyclist doing it. He became my husband.

They're interesting, because you discover just how wrong the stereotypes
of the southern USA are,

I didn't know there were any ...

and as a balance to egregious propaganda like
Uncle Tom's Cabin. They are also quite amusing.

Haven't read that either. I don't read much fiction - there are far too many
books :-(

| Core-eating isn't something I expect from others but I do wonder why
people
| peel apples before eating them. a daughter in law does it for her
chiildren
| because she says they won't like them. They've never had them :-)

It's loony, I agree. In most modern apples, the only flavour and
most of the nutrition is in the peel.

Oh, not the ONLY flavour! Ah - I'd just re-read and see that you say
'modern' apples. I don't know much about them.

The older I get the less I know ... :-(

Or at least, the more I realise how llittle I know :-)

Mary