Old 08-10-2007, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default Advice wanted: dealing with an unloved garden- where to start?

On 6 Oct, 01:36, RipSlider ripJUNKslider{at}gJUNKmail-dot-coJUNKm -
delete junk wrote:
4) dead head/cut back rest of plants
5) Mow and edge the lawn with a half moon spade. At some point, I'm
thinking of edging at least the back garden lawn with bricks. Any
issues doing this in winter?
6) fork over the borders, especially in the front. Manure added.
7) Set up a leaf litter bin
8) put up a few bird boxes ( Is it too late to do this?)

Point 4 and 8 - there's some benefits to let plants to die back by
themselves, the first is that they bring structure and interest to a
garden in winter, they also bring food stuff to birds, insects and
seeds, and they'll want to settle in your garden. If they look too
untidy cut them down, but keep as much seed heads as you can. Next
year there will be more ofsprings, you'll be able to identiify the
plant, keep it if you like, collect the seeds, sow them somewhere
else, of just get rid of it if you don' t like it!

After 2 years some of my bricks are cracking, leaving piles of broken
tiny bits that I can't get rid off. I find bricks boring for this now.
I've started using wooden hedges - not only it looks nicer, I don't
accidentally drop a brick on a frozen finger either and it won't
desintigrate like bricks do. At least I hope so )

a) I've read about "green manure", but not sure what it is. It seems to
be some type of grass. can someone tell me about it? Usages, pro's,
con's etc

Green manure will fix nutrients and stop them being washed away by the
rain, especially after legumes harvest and will protect your soil from
the winter elements, like compaction. Also it is good to supress weeds
(which in winter won't matter) but also it provides a habitat for
insects. However, unless you are prepared to dug it in after
flowering, it will go woody and start using the nutrients. But then
you can add it to your compost (but that defeats the green manure
objective innit). Unless you want to use the soil for growing vegs, I
wouldn't green manure it. It is also a good idea to leave your plot
for up to 4 weeks after green manure before you start planting. Your
organic manure alone will be enough to protect your soil until spring
and will do a better job.

Now, what vegs are you going to grow?

b) I'm starting to think about next year, especially spring and early
summer. Any specific plants that I should be planting around now?

Lots indeed. From conifers to rasberries, from roses to tulips
(bulbs), from perenials to onions! Now is good because this auturmn is
just fantastic. The soil is still warm and the weather ... well we're
quite lucky in the north, I'm in Manchester ;o)