Old 09-10-2007, 01:05 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko Srgnt Billko is offline

Default Ready for winter

"Clark" wrote in message
news
Bob F wrote:
"Clark" wrote in message
Srgnt Billko wrote:
Getting ready for the cold days of winter. Split about a cord of
firewood today. Some mountain ash and some shag bark hickory. The
pile didn't go down much and I'm tired already.

I've got to split some wood too, I cut down a few black walnut
tree's this spring.
My father who is a licensed contractor (home additions and such) had
a fit, he mumbled something about it being the most expensive
firewood I would ever burn?

I've read of people with black walnut trees that come home and find
the tree gone - stolen. They are really valuable.

Bob

I have heard the same thing, I think my father is still laughing at the
fact I cut down four?(maybe five)of them.
We have been burning some of the wood in the outdoor fire place, the wood
gives off a really strong smokey smell.
I can smell the smokey shirt I wore last night from 5 feet away.

I've got to find some of the walnuts I hear they are good.

Clark

The nuts from my tree aren't good at all - nothing like walnuts bought in a
store - plus they are a pain-in-the-ass to handle - they stain everything.