Old 09-10-2007, 04:43 AM posted to alt.permaculture
Ferd Farkel Ferd Farkel is offline

Default Leaves as cheap vermicompost N supplement?

Plants fed the initial bit of worm castings are showing classic
symptoms of nitrogen deficiency, older, lower leaves yellowing
as the mobile nutrient is taken by otherwise very healthy newer
growth. Most of the worms' diet is newsprint, because my family
isn't vegetarian, so I have little in the way of greens to feed my
herd.
Any reason I can't just go out and grab a handful of green leaves
from either weeds or trees to throw into my bin? If so, are there
any species preferrable or verbotten as worm food? I assume
black walnut, for example, would be lethal.