Old 09-10-2007, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Its my lucky day!!!

On 9/10/07 09:22, in article ,
"echinosum" wrote:

Sacha;752786 Wrote:
Do other women
get this junk or is it just because my name is spelt Sacha and not
Sasha, I
wonder?

Sasha is the Russian diminutive for both Alexander and Alexandra, so it
is ambiguous, like Alex would be in English. Since the former is more
common in Russia, there are more male Sashas than female ones. Likewise
Misha being the Russian diminutive for both male and female forms of
Michael is more likely to be male than female there. In Britain there
is a general assumption that names ending in A are female, so these
names are more often given to girls. This causes endless confusion for
Italians called Andrea (Italian for Andrew).

One way that Sacha can arise is as the French spelling of Sasha.

The diminutive for Ivan (my name, but I'm not Russian) is Vanya.

Ah - I was under the impression that Sacha was the Russian diminutive for
Alexander and Sasha was that for Alexandra. I was actually christened
Sandra but my brother couldn't say that and purely by coincidence I ended up
as Sacha (my younger self's choice of spelling) Nobody ever calls me
Sandra, except my mother when she's cross and then I get the full soup and
fish!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk