Old 09-10-2007, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning Stephen Henning is offline

Default How much triple super phosphate should i apply around established fruit trees?

"
wrote:

I have some triple super phosphate i want to use around my
established fruit trees to help them harden off for the winter. There
aren't any application rates mentioned on the bag so i don't know how
much to use. Most fertilizer app. rates are calculated by using x
amount based on the diameter of the trunk measured about 2 feet above
the soil line,but not sure if this also applies to triple super
phosphate. I live in Southern Calif. where soils are on the alkaline
side. How much can i use w/o over doing it? Thanks.

Phosphorus is one chemical that plants just take up as they need it. It
is hard to use too much. However it is very wasteful to use too much
and it does build up in the soil. For plants that are in good health
and producing fruit, the application can be on the light side. For
plants in poor health and not producing fruit, the dose should be
heavier. The only way to optimize your rate is to take a soil sample
and send it with the type of crop you are raising to your county agent.
One of the best indicators for phosphorus is carrots. If you are
deficient in phosphorus, you won't be able to grow good carrots.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net/rahome.html