Old 09-10-2007, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Glenna Rose Glenna Rose is offline

Default Ground Beef Recall Expanded

writes:
[snip]

To be honest, I live under deed restrictions which say I cannot have
farm animals, but I also can't take it if an animal dies under my
care, and I don't want to have to deal with it any more. We do have a
parrot, Macaw, and she is plenty to take care of. Whoever coined the
phrase "eats like a bird" has no idea how much birds eat! It is
continuous, with continuous poo. Fortunately, she was poop trained to
poop in a waste basket when she was very young.

[snip]

Point of interest: We are no allowed to have "farm animals" by city code
but are allowed to have hens (not roosters or pea fowl).

I am curious. How can a Macaw be "poop trained?" As I recall from
Northwest Birds class, one of the many and actually incredible adaptations
of birds for them to be lighter so they fly is the "reduction" in the
intestinal tract which leaves them with no control of their body waste
meaning they cannot be housebroken. With that bit of information, it was
a bit easier to be not quite so critical of our feathered friends.

But back to the question, how does one house-break a creature that cannot
control when/where it happens?

Glenna