Old 04-04-2003, 07:08 AM
John H Wood

Default Moving Young Fruit Trees

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 12:06:38 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 10:29:43 GMT,

(John H Wood) wrote:

~I have five choice apples varieties that I grafted six years ago and
~cherished. They were cropping well and living up to my expectation
~taste wise. The daughters' sheep got at them and ring barked the lot,
~the entire stems. They are budding wonderfully as if nothing had
~happened but when the leaves are out and transpiring in the hot sun
~they will die. Hope your own survives the transplant. Give us an
~update next spring.

Oh I will. Ouch to your trees. Can you wrap them in cling film or
something? Or just hope that you can graft them onto new root stock?

I thought that my "grafting" days were over and have no root stock
left. I have taken a serious look at some of my varieties such as
Sturmer Pippin, a wonderful apple but no good here, and decided that
they must go to make way for the like of Ashmeads Kernel and Kidd's
Orange Red, so will top graft them over.

Have you tried grafting, it's easy?
But probably too late for your tree this year.
John
East Devon

Remove "s" from upslyme when replying.