Old 09-10-2007, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Can I design something that will be useful while gardening?

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| | Mice certainly do eat beeswax, but I don't know under what
| circumstances.
| |
| | They will eat comb, either in or outside a hive. It's easy to bite
and
| | usually contains somethiing nice - honey, pollen or larvae.
| |
| | Great chunks of solid wax - from 1 to 60 lbs are not as easy :-)
|
| They eat beeswax candles.
|
| Evidence?

Personal, historic and second-hand. The books you don't read are
very good sources of information on such mundane issues :-) I have
also had beeswax candles eaten by mice, and have known other people
who have, too.

I make hundreds of beeswax candles a yar, possibly thousands this year.
They've never been eaten.

What books would you suggest? I have quite a large collection :-)

Tallow candles were eaten by mice and rats, which is one reason why they
were not stored for long and then out of reach of rodents.

Nobody I know has had beeswax candles eaten by rodents.

Incidentally Prices Candles used to make tallow candles for HM Forces and
arctic/Antarctic explorers. They were VAT zero rated because they were made
from food.

Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.