Old 10-10-2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Steveo Steveo is offline

Default lawn winterize

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message news:cKNOi.142671$Fc.1233@attbi_s21...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
news:reCOi.141760$Fc.98619@attbi_s21... JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
newsWcOi.139942$Fc.30459@attbi_s21...
Harry K wrote:
On Oct 7, 5:36 am, Jim wrote:
symplastless wrote:

To winterize or not to winterize lawn
snip
this is precious, simply precious
Yeah. I have seen that several times over the years and there is
so much truth to it. I see that the annual 'what to use to bag
leaves' threads have started over alt.home.repair. Even after
they have been told the simple way is to mow/mulch em, they still
go on about buying fancy equipment to vacuum them up.

Harry K

What do you do when there is a 3 foot layer of leaves?
Assuming you're unable to mow them into oblivion*, you could try a
rake. It's a relatively new invention, so, like when CD players
first became available, you might have to get on a waiting list. No
matter what anyone tells you, you can rake & bag as fast as or
faster than with a leaf blower.

* Yes, there are situations where you can't use the mower to grind
up the leaves.
I will argue that point with you also.

Argue what? That there are situations where a mower won't handle the
leaves? I'm listening.

Well. I have a Tank and a Toro commercial so I guess I don't have that
problem either.

Right. Some mowers have limits as to what they'll mulch. And then,
there's the infamous confluence of factors that's sometimes unavoidable,
like when my neighbor's sycamore decides to dump all its leaves at 3:00
PM, followed by rain at 4:00 PM, lasting for the next 3 days, with heavy
winds that shlep even more leaves from the other neighbors' yards. When
every square yard contains 4 bushels of wet leaves, my mower says
"Yeah...right".

Now my gutter's are full!