Old 09-10-2007, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
GreenieLeBrun GreenieLeBrun is offline

Default My Dog Keeps Killing My Lawn

Mark Woodcock wrote:
Thanks for all your replies. Dont think I will be throwing any water
on my dog though!!

I dont have a large garden and there really is no other option than
for her to go on the grass.

She will often go out unsupervised so I dont always know where she has
gone.

I suppose I was looking for something that I could maybe put on the
grass as either a treatment after the event or something that I could
treat the grass with that would stop the discolouring in the first
place.

I have heard about something that you can put in a dogs water that
helps with this problem but I would rather treat the grass than the
dog.

Mark

It is the high concentration of urea/uric acid in the dog's urine that is
killing the grass. The effect is more noticible with bitches than dogs as
they, the bitches, dump their load in the one place. Just dilute the urine
with a bucket of water or the hose as soon as the deed has been done, this
will reduce if not negate the effect and the diluted urine will act as a
high nitrogen fertilizer thus feeding the lawn.