Old 10-10-2007, 12:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies Emrys Davies is offline

Default Lawn care

"Kroma" wrote in message
Hi,

Back in August when it was still wet, I sowed lawn seed in my front

garden,
covered the lot in 'fleece' and watered daily (if required).

After about 10 days, I replaced the 'fleece' with a netting (the

fleece and
netting was to prevent birds eating the seeds and foxes digging/doing

their
business).

After a short holiday, I returned to find the grass quite long (almost

like
a deep green luxury pile carpet) - I mowed it with the mower on its

highest
setting.

A week later, it was getting a bit untidy so I mowed it at the next

height
setting down.

Since then (about a month) it seems to be growing in patches - some

patches
are much longer than others whilst others seem to remain quite short.

The
shorter areas are also showing a bit of yellowing.

From a distance it still looks very nice but close up I am worried.

Perhaps
the second cut was a bit too short/close?

Any ideas of how to get the whole lawn growing at the same speed and

how to
stop the yellowing?

Thanks in advance,

Kroma

I think that you will find that the difference in grass texture is due
to the soil conditions. Do the yellow patches suffer from poor
drainage, soil compaction or both?

Regards,
Emrys Davies.