Old 10-10-2007, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Scott Hildenbrand Scott Hildenbrand is offline

Default Leaf Mold, Do Tell..

cat daddy wrote:
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
How do you break up your leaves for your leaf mold pile. Just wondering
since fall is coming and I want to get a good pile started.

I don't have a chipper or anything to break them up however, so I
thought I'd ask you all what you do to prep new leaves.

Or, just toss 'em on a pile and let 'em soak down with each rain, mixing
now and then..

So, do tell!

I just toss them (mostly pecan leaves) in a welded wire fence enclosure,
make a slurry of alfalfa meal (50 lb. sack from a feed store lasts a long
time) in a 5 gallon bucket, and pour that in the middle. Cover with more
leaves and hose it down. Keep adding leaves until the neighbours stop
putting out the sacks. I may fork it a little now and then to add more
slurry, but I don't bother turning it anymore and just let it set longer.

Take it that works better than fresh grass clippings, then.. I may try
that at some time.. Thanks!

We've got a HUGE pecan tree on the property, plus an oak, 2 elms, 3
chestnut.. Quite a bit to make use of..

Minus the black walnut which I can't use for anything. :|