Old 10-10-2007, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
JDoe JDoe is offline

Default Please ID this Flowering Plant

This is a hibiscus syriacus (Rose of Sharon) plant/tree/shrub . . . it only
blooms for a few short weeks at the end of summer or early fall w/ gorgeous
blooms which both hummingbirds and orioles favor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiscus_syriacus
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/h/hibsyr/hibsyr3.html
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/dendrol.../hsyriacus.htm

Regards.

____________________

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 26, 4:30 pm, Denny wrote:
Hi, this past spring I saw this plant growing right against the fence
between my neighbour's yard and mine. I was going to cut it down, but
I was curious as to what it is. It is just now starting to flower, and
the blooms sure are pretty. Can anyone ID this plant? Area is southern
Ontario Canada, Thank you very much in advance.

Denny

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/nice_flower.jpg

This plant is almost definitely a hibiscus, although I am not familiar
with Ontario. It is pretty widespread and can be grown in the UK in a
sheltered spot.