Old 10-10-2007, 06:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
cat daddy cat daddy is offline

Default Leaf Mold, Do Tell..

"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
cat daddy wrote:
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
How do you break up your leaves for your leaf mold pile. Just wondering
since fall is coming and I want to get a good pile started.

I don't have a chipper or anything to break them up however, so I
thought I'd ask you all what you do to prep new leaves.

Or, just toss 'em on a pile and let 'em soak down with each rain,

mixing
now and then..

So, do tell!

I just toss them (mostly pecan leaves) in a welded wire fence

enclosure,
make a slurry of alfalfa meal (50 lb. sack from a feed store lasts a

long
time) in a 5 gallon bucket, and pour that in the middle. Cover with more
leaves and hose it down. Keep adding leaves until the neighbours stop
putting out the sacks. I may fork it a little now and then to add more
slurry, but I don't bother turning it anymore and just let it set

longer.

Take it that works better than fresh grass clippings, then.. I may try
that at some time.. Thanks!

Oh yeah. And, especially when there are no fresh clippings and tons of
leaves. I've also used alfalfa meal and alfalfa tea to fertilize pecans in
the Spring. Great source of nitrogen, trace minerals and growth stimulants.

We've got a HUGE pecan tree on the property, plus an oak, 2 elms, 3
chestnut.. Quite a bit to make use of..

Minus the black walnut which I can't use for anything. :|