Old 04-04-2003, 07:56 AM
jammer

Default leggy seedlings

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 00:45:16 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

My tomatoes are always leggy by the time I set them out. By the time
the danger of frost is over, the ground is warm. I set the tomato
plants in deep holes -- post holes; and I do not remove the lower
leaves, I just bury them. The plants take off with rapid sturdy growth
in just a couple of days. If your ground is still cool or wet, a trench
is probably better, but I would not remove the lower leaves.

I plant deep, but i do not pull off any leaves. I did that once and i
dont know if it was the weather or the pulling of the leaves, but i
didnt have a real good crop that year. I have 12 going right now. At
least 10 that are here for the duration.