Old 10-10-2007, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Scott Hildenbrand Scott Hildenbrand is offline

Default Leaf Mold, Do Tell..

beecrofter wrote:
On Oct 9, 10:28 pm, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:
How do you break up your leaves for your leaf mold pile. Just wondering
since fall is coming and I want to get a good pile started.

I don't have a chipper or anything to break them up however, so I
thought I'd ask you all what you do to prep new leaves.

Or, just toss 'em on a pile and let 'em soak down with each rain, mixing
now and then..

So, do tell!

There is no need to shred the leaves unless you need to hurry nature.
There is no need to add nitrogen unless you need to hurry nature.
A pile large enough to insulate itself will heat and begin to break
down all on it's own.

If you want to hurry or use the leaves as mulch and don't want them to
mat down, run them over with a mower a time or two. A wall or plank
for a backstop helps.

I think your post explained it the best in terms of shredding and
greens..

Thanks!