Old 10-10-2007, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
cat daddy cat daddy is offline

Default Leaf Mold, Do Tell..

"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
cat daddy wrote:
Charlie wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 21:53:02 -0500, "cat daddy"
wrote:

"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in

message
How do you break up your leaves for your leaf mold pile. Just

wondering
since fall is coming and I want to get a good pile started.

I don't have a chipper or anything to break them up however, so I
thought I'd ask you all what you do to prep new leaves.

Or, just toss 'em on a pile and let 'em soak down with each rain,

mixing
now and then..

So, do tell!
I just toss them (mostly pecan leaves) in a welded wire fence

enclosure,
make a slurry of alfalfa meal (50 lb. sack from a feed store lasts a

long
time) in a 5 gallon bucket, and pour that in the middle. Cover with

more
leaves and hose it down. Keep adding leaves until the neighbours stop
putting out the sacks. I may fork it a little now and then to add more
slurry, but I don't bother turning it anymore and just let it set

longer.

Thanks, I've been wondering about using alfalfa meal.

It gets the pile smokin'....... I usually cover it in black plastic

retain moisture and heat. The steam shoots out small holes on cool

mornings.
I generally take a couple of scoops from a plastic pitcher per

bucket
and let it soak for a few minutes. I used to use rabbit food pellets,

until
I realized how cheap a 50 lb. bag was.

Hmmmm... But that's composting, not making leaf mold, no? Leaf mold is a
cold process that uses fungi to break the leaves down, not bacteria.

Whoo boy..... It was only last Spring that someone here said that I
wasn't composting, but making leaf mould....... I don't think the fungi,
bacteria, or worms particularly care about the words we humans use to
describe decaying organic matter, or the plants care about what specific
methods we use to create it.
My potted tomatoes enjoyed growing in it, and my bedding plants have
enjoyed having it layered on top, a la lasagna gardening.
And, don't tell symplastless, but the pecan tree grove I tend at a local
park has thrived and has a bountiful crop this year, whether I spread
composted tree mulch, or fresh wood chips.
Spread it on the ground, pile it up, add stuff or not....... Just don't
bag it up and throw it away. It's all good.