Old 10-10-2007, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Wormeries - are they worth having?

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Amethyst Deceiver" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote in
message

Anyway, don't potato peelings,

We don't peel potatoes ...

Neither do we, but the 3yo pulls them off and leaves them.

cabbage hearts,

They're eaten, raw.

Good for you.

the pods of peas

Don't buy them and I'm no good at growing them..

(excluding mange-touts), etc, count as kitchen waste?

Probably, in some households. I understand that pea pods make
excellent soup. If we had them I'd use them in stock. But there
again, I was taught thrifty housekeeping by my mother and my
school.

So was I. But I was also taught that once something's been cooked
through once, you need to be careful about recooking it.

So was I. So I am :-)

And what about the things you can't reheat? Or do you never have
that? Lucky you, if so, but pelase don't criticise those of us who
do.

I didn't know I had :-)

You said of food waste, and I quote:

It wastes money as well as nutrients. It's also a waste of effort for
the
growers, sellers and preparers - even if you prepared it yourself. I
think
that's an insult to those people. If it's animal food it's a waste of a
part
of that animal's life.

You don't think that's criticism?

No, it's my opinion.

I didn't say that anyone was wrong for wasting food - although I wouldn't do
it partly because I think it IS wrong.