Old 04-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Martin Brown

Default What plants are harmful to Hen's?

Mary Fisher wrote:

Fresh eggs are gorgeous. Ours are pampered and kept more like pets.

So are ours.

Beware of the critters that eat poultry though - they fit through amazingly
small gaps.
(much much more of a risk to them than toxic plants)

Indeed. We've spent a lot of time and money making a fox-proof fence, we've
lost too many hens to Reynard.

It isn't foxes that are a problem for us (though there are lots of them around).
The real threat here comes from stoats and mink which are tiny and fit through
holes not much more than 1" diameter but pack a lethal punch. Stoats steal the
eggs but will kill a hen given the chance. And in Spring when hens may be broody
they are - forgive the expression "sitting ducks" and get their heads lopped off
(not nice).

We have well trained neighbours who feed them for a small return in eggs and

duty free...

Oh but we WANT them to come with us - and since we are usually being
mediaeval they fit in very well.

What fun!

Regards,
Martin Brown