Old 10-10-2007, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Wormeries - are they worth having?

Uncle Marvo writes
, I, Marvo, say :

Not really, though Merkins think that there is. The cause is Bacillus
cereus, which is ubiquitous in the soil and has durable spores. Any
food that is stored at room temperature for days or in kept warm for
hours can cause trouble. The reason that rice is demonised is because
it is the most common food handled like that in the catering trade
(especially the lower end of it).

It is similar to the bloke whose arm got broken by a swan. Everybody's heard
of it, nobody actually knows the victim.

I know a bloke who rowed a mile in record time, encouraged by a swan.

I reheat rice which has been hanging around for a day out of the fridge.

Most things seem OK for a day

I microwave it. Never died yet, but I suppose there's a first time for
everything.

I turn it from boiled rice to egg fried rice. I used to happily keep it
for several days (I'll normally keep meat for up to 4 days and veg up to
a week, but I am emphatically NOT advising anyone to follow my example)
but now I try to use it within two days to be on the safe side. Next day
if it's the remains of a takeaway rather than rice I've cooked myself.

--
Kay