Old 10-10-2007, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kroma Kroma is offline

Default Lawn care

I was thinking that the sponginess was due to the soil being fairly new and
not really walked upon. Would this not be the case?

The lawn was watered extensively for the first few weeks without any sign of
distress, only after the second cut did anything untoward start to happen.

BTW, the area of the lawn is quite small - less than 20 square metres.

Kroma

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

The generally received wisdom is not to feed a sick plant. To revert to
the
old days "the answer lies in the soil" - I'd suggest digging up that
particular area of lawn and seeing what is underneath it and dealing with
that first before going into expensive treatments which might do more harm
than good. IF you have a boggy area that won't drain well, you can make a
bog garden, for example. But have you asked any neighbours to either side
of your area if they have a similar problem? It may go with the
territory.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk