Old 11-10-2007, 05:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Opinion on hanging a swing

"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
news
Ok.. I know some of you will wrinkle your nose at putting a swing in a
tree but still need the info.

What do you think the better method is for attaching a swing to a tree.

1 Looped rope over the limb and tied.
2 Garden hose over said loop.
3 Use a closed eyelet screwed into the bottom of the limb.

Which would do the least harm to the tree.. Tree would be a huge pecan, on
a 12-16" diameter limb.

I'm leaning to the eyelet as being the best for the tree and safest
method. Only need one rope to swap out between a hammock chair and a tire
swing.

A swing hung from a tree is a great thing.

The first two choices will cause what's known as girdling - wearing away the
bark and the layer beneath. Enough of this wear and it'll kill the limb.
Definitely go for choice #3, and make it a really fat piece of hardware. I
put one in the sycamore at my previous house 17 years ago, and the tree's
fine. My wife at the time thought it would be good to wipe the eyelet with
bleach so it wouldn't transmit disease into the tree. Hardware stores aren't
known for harboring tree diseases, but she still went ahead with her idea.