Old 04-04-2003, 09:20 AM
sam

Default A conundrum

"pelirojaroja" wrote:

Hi,

I have clay-soil that gets baked on the South side of the house. I know
soil amendment and watering are in my future, but does anyone have any
advice for plants (perennials, shrubs, annuals) that like to have clay soil
but NOT be very moist?

Most clay-loving plants I've looked up like to be wet (usually clay soil
holds water well -sometimes too well). But, the "dry-feet" plants seem to
want sandy, well-drained soil.

Sigh. What do I do? Plant clay-loving plants and water like mad? Or plant
dry-feet plants and amend the soil like a maniac with sand and compost? Any
other options?
(Yes, I know -- native wildflowers and the "prairie" theme. I'll do it to
some extent, but I wanted a bit more cultivated look, since this is a small
place.) I live in Cleveland, OH -- zone 5.

WWYD? What would you do? :-)

Thanks,

-- pelirojaroja
"dangerous redhead"

I'd build planting berms. I've made plenty in my garden - I like the
rolling mounds look. In some places, I've dug pretty deeply into a
berm after 3 years or so of adding compost around the plantings and
found the clay underneath to be much improved. Getting worms busy in
the clay does wonders.

Otherwise, dandelions would grow fine in your conditions!

sam
pnw/z8