Old 11-10-2007, 01:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Alan Sung Alan Sung is offline

Default Crabapple setbacks

"Crabapple" wrote in message

Last Autumn I bought two crab apple trees (Evereste and White Star)
which were potted and in full fruit.

They were planted correctly in their supposedly favourite clay soil,
but this year the Evereste has one apple, and the White Star about 20.

Both trees appear to have established and are in no danger of dying.

They came from a reputable East of Scotland grower, but I can't help
feeling that they must have been forced to have been so laden with
apples in a 10-inch pot.

Or have I done something wrong? I am a beginner with crab apples, so
any help at all would be very welcome.

I wouldn't worry, the tree is probably diverting it's energy into root
development in lieu of fruit production. Also remember that birds, squirrels
and other wildlife will eat some of your fruit which is OK in the case of a
crabapple.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA