Old 11-10-2007, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Amethyst Deceiver Amethyst Deceiver is offline

Default Wormeries - are they worth having?

Uncle Marvo wrote:
, I, Marvo, say :

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:
In article , Amethyst Deceiver
says...
I know a number of people who've fallen foul of reheated rice.

Is there a specific problem with rice? When I do a curry or
whatever I normally do enough rice so there is enough to stir fry
the next day or day after.

Not really, though Merkins think that there is. The cause is
Bacillus cereus, which is ubiquitous in the soil and has durable
spores. Any food that is stored at room temperature for days or in
kept warm for hours can cause trouble. The reason that rice is
demonised is because it is the most common food handled like that in
the catering trade (especially the lower end of it).

Not just Americans. It's not unknown for takeaways and restaurants to keep a
pot of rice on the go, and that's when problems start to arise.

It is similar to the bloke whose arm got broken by a swan.
Everybody's heard of it, nobody actually knows the victim.

As I said, I /know/ people who've been affected. If you cool it quickly and
reheat it thoroughly there is no problem. If it's been sitting around warm
for a while and you give it a quick reheat, it can be a problem.