Old 04-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Jonathan Ward

Default Gunnera (sp?)

In article , says...

Derek Turner
wrote:

Late last summer we made a bog garden and planted inter alia a Gunnera
(sp?). It was quite big and cost us £20(!) So far this year there are
no signs of life, should there be by now (Leics)?

I have 2, a tiny one and a larger version. The main idea I gather is to
prevent the crown (like a hard ball of fibre) getting wet and then being
damaged by frost. Most years I have managed to cover the larger one with
hay and its own leaves. One year I only used leaves and they were
quickly blown away, so last year I reverted to the 'piles of hay'
method, and looking carefully under them, the first large curled
greenish shoots are on their way on both plants. I am up in the heights
SW above Cambridge, about 147m asl, so the first thing to stop the winds
from Siberia, apparently.
--
David
when the sturm und drang of a

The knack with leaves is not to break them off but fold them over leaving the
stalk intact. Otherwise when they dry out they do blow away.

--
Jonathan Ward
Remove the 'X' when replying