Old 11-10-2007, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner[_2_] William Wagner[_2_] is offline

Default Leaf Mold, Do Tell..

In article ,
"AlanG" wrote:

I've been reading this thread with great interest, in particular the part
about alfalfa meal for the compost pile (embarrassed to say I've never heard
of this one,
and I was a nursery manager/buyer for 12 years in D.C.)

Question: are those of you who don't dig the soil or add materials
referring solely to edible plants/annuals/very tough perennials? Wouldn't
you dig the soil well and add
organic matter for shrubs, trees, and perennials, especially those which
require excellent drainage?

Require excellent drainage is not something we speak of about here in
sandy loam country. I guess if you want excellent drainage or acidic
soil you must apply sand and acid creating amenities. I use oak leaves
which are about big time. Seems you may want to plant something that
would not live there unless you apply help or energy. Your additions
are added expense but going cheap has it virtues.

Bill whose brother is a nursery manager too for about 30 years. We
differ on plant life philosophy. I favor my Dad and that English guy
long gone.

Any way here is a video.

http://www.kitchengardeners.org/

--