Old 11-10-2007, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Bird houses, feeders and food - which ones to buy?

Klara writes

I wouldn't even think about bird feeders that aren't squirrel-proof,
with a good sturdy cage - not only do they eat all the food, they
destroy the bird feeders as well!
We also had one of those long ones where a cover comes down over the
tube when the squirrel tries to get on it. Worked perfectly until the
fox managed somehow to detach the bit with the peanuts in it - we
haven't seen it since. :-((

I'd wait to see if squirrels are a problem before buying a squirrel
proof feeder.

I use CJ Birdfoods - recommended by BTO. Theory is that cheaper foods
are bulked out with cheaper ingredients which a) are less energy rich
(and small birds in winter need all they can get) and b) aren't liked by
the birds as much so they just drop them so they heap up beneath the
feeder.

In winter and spring I also use a fat feeder - I use the big cylindrical
blocks that CJ Birdfoods do - my birds don't seem to like the round
balls, or the little square ones that sit in cages. You can get the big
blocks with different additions, eg berries, insects, which is fun for
me but I don't know whether the birds care.

It takes several weeks for birds to get used to a feeder and start
visiting it. And BTO are saying that the biggest influence on your bird
visitors is what's around you rather than what you have in your garden.
So if you're in an urban desert you have to learn to love starlings and
sparrows.

--
Kay