Old 12-10-2007, 06:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Sinister Sinister is offline

Default No match for Dracula...

I bought recently a charming and semi-healthy Drac. vampira with the
intention of keeping it within my room. I have it in a dimly shaded room.
Humidity is always 65+ Never gets over 74 degrees F. I always have the fan
on. It's in a hanging basket tucked in with sphagnum.

My sister burned some of her incense and I fed it with orchid food. She
lights her room with candles and then blows them out and the smoke drifts
into my room!

Recently it's leaves have turned a pale green. It lost about four-five of
them. Some of the withering to brown dried leaf. Others just randomly
abscised for no apparent reason. I froze up and have only watered it
recently, too afraid to touch it. I feel like I'm playing a losing game of
hangman and I only have four feeble pale green leaves left.

I have my theories concerning her incense containing ethylene that's killing
off my prized orchid.

If any of you have any idea why this might be happening or any direct advice
for someone raising dracs in their own home, please shout out. I know
technically the book says it can't be done, but dammit I don't have a
greenhouse and I've never been one to go by the book.

But somehow I have to encourage newgrowth in this thing!

Anyway,
Thanks

-dxtrwrd