Old 12-10-2007, 01:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default What veggies can I grow in my home - and expect it to work?

Leythos wrote in
:

In article , says...

"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
While I'm not good with flowers (or most plants) I would like to
grow some veggies in my home during the winter. I have a grow-lamp
system on a timer for some sunny plants (not veggies) that are in a
darker area of my home, but I don't know much about veggies
indoors.

I have 3 bunches of garlic that sprouted, and I love garlic in my
food - I was thinking of taking them and planting them in a couple
5 Gal planters and putting them in my grow area, but I don't have
clue if it would work. Same with Tomatoes (roma), green onions,
carrots, and herbs...

Any advise on a indoor growing of those things?

A large window that faces the sun would be a much better start than a
dark area even if you are going to add artificial lighting. Even so
you will be up against it as veges and herbs like full sun.

You don't say why you want to grow in the house or what your winter
is like so we are in the dark as much as your plants (groan).

If you are thinking of spending money on lamps and the power to run
them (not insignificant) you might be better off investing in some
sort of small greenhouse on a sunny balcony or spot in the yard.
Your climate will determine how elaborate this needs to be or if it
will work at all.

Thanks to everyone that replied - I'll just give up, it's not worth
the cost at this time.

You could grow herbs. A windowsill with good light will provide most of
what you need for most herbs. Get some decorative containers from the
thrift store (I use older-type cream pitchers) and pot some up. Basil is
pretty reliable and there are lots of different types. My garlic chives
are even producing a bloom right now. And I love the miniature thymes
because they can go in teeny little pots.