Old 12-10-2007, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default Bird houses, feeders and food - which ones to buy?

"Serena Blanchflower" wrote
What other birds do you know are in the area and that you particularly
want to attract?

I find that by far the most popular food is sunflower seeds; when I've fed
seed mixes, of any kind, there's a huge amount of waste, as the birds pick
out the sunflower seeds and leave most of the rest! The only exception to
this is the mix I get for the ground feeders, which is pretty much like
muesli.

Nowadays I feed sunflower hearts, peanuts and ground feeders' muesli
throughout the year and add fat balls in the winter. That attracts a
pretty wide range of birds. As well as what to feed, it's well worth
considering where. The birds will feel a lot more confident if there's
cover close to hand, along with perches to use before and after feeding.
Cheers, Serena

I have some photo's of the birds we get here in the city (Rotterdam)
I have fat balls, peanuts, a bird table for bread, cake, rice, old
cornflakes, muesli etc :~))
There's a link at the bottom over the page about feeding:
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/Plant...onth/Birds.htm
Jenny