Old 12-10-2007, 09:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default Stapelia gigantica - even closer - 1 attachment

"someone" wrote in
:

"Bob Williams" wrote in message
Wendy7 wrote:
These flowers are supposed to have a rotten meat type odor but I
did not sniff!
Cheers Wendy

---

Waaaay Cool!
Does the plant trap and digest the flies like a Venus fly trap or
does it just attract the flies with its odor?

It's a brilliant plant, it attracts the flies, which are supposed to
pollinate it however I have never seen anything like a seed pod. The
flies hang around as you see, lay their eggs near the centre (after
having ostensibly pollinated the flower) , the fly larva hatch - and
starve to death because there is no carrion for them to eat!

I don't think it smells so bad. It's an odd smell but not actually
unpleasant, unlike, say, a stinkhorn fungus which really does smell
like s**t.

Amd the Voodoo Lily which smelled like a garbage dump on a hot July day!

Attached Thumbnails
Stapelia gigantica - even closer-copy-voodoo-lily-3.jpg