Old 13-10-2007, 08:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
cat daddy cat daddy is offline

Default Leaf Mold, Do Tell..

Charlie wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:38:50 -0500, "cat daddy"
wrote:

Charlie wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 16:04:18 -0500, "cat daddy"
wrote:

Ok, this has me thinking about what I have been doing, which is
loosening the soil with a garden fork, or better if I had one, a
broadfork. I'm certainly not arguing, just looking for the easiest and
most beneficial way of improving and maintaining my soil.

I won't pretend to have an answer here. But, I noticed that after a

few
years of incorporating soil ammendments with a fork, it always seemed to
revert to the same come Spring. Sandy loam that's fine when damp and rock
hard when dry. I figured the plants roots would best adjust to homogenous
soil, rather than a top layer of potting mix and then hit normal soil.

Billy
said it best that perhaps it's doing more damage to the soil strata, that
then has to recover.

And this brings another thought to mind, When cleaning up and out in
the fall/early winter I pull plants from the ground, roots and all,
disturbing a large area of soil. I wonder if cutting the plant at
ground level would be a better approach, leaving the roots and
surrounding nutrients undisturbed?

That's a hard one. Naturally, all roots stay in the ground after a plant
dies. And, if you think of a field of mixed plants, their roots must all
interwine. But, I imagine disturbing the soil structure on that level is not
so great that it would recover quickly. I always shake the dirt back in the
hole anyway.

This whole business of food production is appearing to be more simple
than I had imagined, and I am continually deconstructing my methods and
knowledge. I guess the old KISS acronym applies.

And your discussions here have re-directed my interest in growing
something edible, rather than ornamental. Actually both, as next year I'm
going to rip out the shrubs along the street and plant peppers. Anyone

who
wants to pick them as they walk by are welcome. And maybe peas and beans,
instead of wisteria on the trellises and fence. Front yard food......

What a great idea, this sharing with passersby! Nice, very nice.

Front yard food is a great idea, particulary given the way thigs be
developing........feh, who needs a lawn to maintain.

It's not an original idea with me. I read an article where some places
it's become quite the fashion. Getting rid of the concept of a lawn has to
become more commonplace. It's wasteful and uninteresting.

Some of our most valued and appreciated, by us and others, plants in
the garden/patio area are the peppers we grow in containers. The
foliage and the fruit are gorgeous. One of everyone's favorites this
year were the tobascos, with their bright upright fruit. Golden
Marconis are a tall pepper, nearly five feet, with eight inch oblong
golden fruit, heavily laden and great raw, fried, roasted, grilled.
The Ruffled Pimientos are a beautiful fruit that turns from glossy dark
green, through shades of maroon, to a deep red.

There are so many edibles that are beautiful as ornamentals. Okra has
incredibly beautiful blooms, hibiscus-like. We planted Hill Country
Red this year, that has red tinged foliage and red stems, with red and
green striped fruit.

Thanks for the recomendations..... I have wild chile pequenos that a
neighbour picks and eats right off the bush. Not for me, thanks, but there
are some others I'd like to grow.

Check out these folks for heirlooms that look great and are great
tasting. I'm not shilling for them, I just buy from them every year.
Never a problem in many years of supporting ther efforts.

www.seedsavers.org

www.rareseeds.com

www.seedsofchange.com

All have great paper catalogs that are full of good info.

Thanks for the links. I knew of the Seeds of Change site, and must plan
on ordering some stuff from them.