Old 13-10-2007, 12:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default Lawn sweeper

On 10/12/07 9:01 AM, in article ,
"Val" wrote:

"Jo Ann" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone ever try one of these gadgets? Any success with it?

http://www.tiny.cc/Og4m9

I remember my dad bought one of those sweepers from Sears (looked exactly
like your picture but had "Craftsman" across the front) when I was a kid.
This sweeper is not a new idea. We had a HUGE lawn and my three brothers and
I had the task of twice weekly lawn care closely supervised by Dad from the
upper deck barking fatherly instructions and encouragement over the top of
his newspaper. Dad had two push mowers and the lawn sweeper thing. The
sweeper was great when manually pushed by a hulking young jock to sweep up
the clippings left by the other two guys pushing lawn mowers. My job was
neatly clipping all the edges with huge grass clippers I had to use both
hands to squeeze. Leaves were always raked, the sweeper wouldn't do the job,
the four of us kids, all supplied with rakes, were highly effective.
Apparently the push mowers, grass clippers, rakes and lawn sweeper ceased to
operate soon after the last kid left home......a John Deere riding mower
with all the bells and whistles to mow, suck up clippings and leaves and
push snow (all the shovels must have been worn out) miraculously appeared,
as did a gas powered edger/trimmer.

In summation, those sweeper things work great for lawn clippings, they don't
do squat to pick up leaves and you should probably have an endless supply of
unpaid child labor to operate any manual equipment to be truly efficient.

Val

Great chuckle! Amazing what doesn't work when the free labor moves out.