Old 14-10-2007, 12:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
MLF MLF is offline

Default Concrete?

"MLF" wrote in message
I wonder if any of you have suggestions for concrete. There are a
multitude of types and additives. However, I would like to know exactly
what type is recommended for lining a pond. And what additives to avoid.

"Pat" wrote
Gunite or shotcrete.

I thought of that. However, the soil here New Orleans is entirely silt - no
rocks, pebbles, or subsoil of any sort. Silt down to about 500 feet.
Building on it is a challenge. The city sewerage workers refer to the ground
conditions more than a meter down as "puddin".

Swimming pools are rare, a surprising situation in a warm climate like this,
probably because of the poor soil conditions. Most pools are
gunite/shotcrete with a plastic liner and most all have settling problems
(no surprise). Any of any size are built on dozens of pilings driven into
the ground - a very expensive proposition.

I'm beginning to think that only relatively shallow ponds are practical
here. I had one that was 2.5 feet and it had settled (over 50 years) about 2
inches. I'm guessing that anything will sink unless some really large
oversized concrete pad is used at the bottom.

My particular question was concerning the type of concrete. I don't want to
poison the fishes, and I don't want to use a liner, so the components of the
concrete are very important. Gunite and/or shotcrete may be suitable, but
I'd like to hear that from someone who actually has a concrete pond like
that with fishies.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA