Old 15-10-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Climber Advice Please

On 15/10/07 16:06, in article ,
" wrote:

I'd appreciate advice on choosing a climber; the requirements a
1) Evergreen
2) Self-supporting
3) North wall - only late afternoon and evening sun - I am in Devon but
not on the moor

Hydrangea seemannii or petiolaris but make sure they're watered and plant
them - or anything else - 2' out from the rain shadow of your house so that
rain can fall on them. As you plant them, lean them in towards the wall you
want them to climb. Both take a while to get going and then suddenly leap
away. Various ivies. Pileostegia viburnoides. Ercilla volubilis. If it
doesn't *have* to be self-clinging, your range will extend tremendously.
Presumably you never need to paint or point the walls?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk