Old 15-10-2007, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default Leaf drop on new holly

On Oct 14, 9:19 pm, BlueFlower
wrote:
Hi, I wonder can anyone help me? I have a Blue Princess holly and a J.C.
Van Tol that I planted in two different areas of my newly created garden
in May. Unfortunately over the summer they both have lost some leaves,
leaving them a bit leggy. Any ideas why this would have happened? Will
the leaves grow back next year or will I be left with leggy plants?
Should I prune them? (They were bought with the root ball wrapped in
hessian, which I planted intact as I'd heard that hollies don't like
their roots being disturbed.)

You should have removed the hessian and teased out some of the roots,
making a hole large enough to make sure the roots would have plenty of
space to grow. Also yellowing of the leaves sounds to me that they
also might not be in a well drained environment. Now would be a good
time to pull them out and start again. How tall are they, how old and
are they in full sun?