Old 16-10-2007, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Leaf drop on new holly

On 16/10/07 16:16, in article , "Janet
Tweedy" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

I cannot see anything speculative in: "They were bought with the root ball
wrapped in hessian, which I planted intact as I'd heard that hollies don't
like their roots being disturbed."

I assumed the same thing Sacha. I'm sure the OP wouldn't have considered
'unintacting' the actual roots themselves!

It sounds a bit like Peonies which everyone 'knows' can't bear to be
disturbed and yet, how many of us know people who have happily dug up theirs
and moved them around the garden, only to have them flourish next year?!
I asked Ray about starting your hollies off in the ground and then potting
them up. He says you can always try it but feels you'll get healthier
plants in the end if they start their lives in pots and remain that way. If
you have a number to 'play' with, would it be worth experimenting?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk