Old 04-04-2003, 02:33 PM
Paul Kelly

Default 2 questions re big shrubs & trees in containers

"Annabel" wrote in message
Q1.....When large trees and shrubs are sold in containers are they
containerised when small and potted on or are they field grown and
containerised.

container grown = what is say on the tin

Containerised = field grown, lifted and potted

Often but not always you can tell the difference as Container grown are self
supporting with maybe a stake. Containerised large specimens often have
timber
support struts across the top of the container to stabilise the rootball.

Some things eg holly will normally be container grown as they resent
lifting.

Q2.....I have a problem with shrubs and trees (esp) that are grown in
containers.. Surely the root systems are inferior to field grown
specimens. I have had several such plants that have failed after
apparently growing ok, on removing them the roots have been found to be
self strangulated.

Horses for courses see comment re holly.

pk