Old 16-10-2007, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Viciously thorny tree/shrub ID please

On 16/10/07 18:07, in article , "CWatters"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
While at Marwood Hill today, we saw a small tree with unbelievably

horrible
thorns! All I remember of the name (I had nothing to write on) was that

it
ended in Americana. The thorns were shaped like hooked rose thorns but a
great deal larger and were all up the trunk and along every branch and

twig.
I've never seen such a brute but I should think it's a security firm's

dream
plant. Does anyone know what it might be?

Agave americana has thorns but it's not a tree.

No, that's not it - I know that one. I think that Kalopanax is probably it
but if the Curator of the garden answers me I'll be able to give a certain
ID. Thanks, Colin.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk