Old 17-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Granity Granity is offline
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

[

I wonder what the world will have to say about an SNH adviser
suggesting we should eat squirrels?
Bit unscientific isn't it?
Why 'unscientific'? Unless you're a rabid vegetarian, what's the
difference between eating squirrel and eating lamb or beef or pork?
To a vegetarian, there'd be no difference between eating meat from
squirrels, sheep, cattle or pigs, it would all be equally unacceptable.
To a meat eater, there may be a difference between squirrel-meat and lamb,
beef, etc. Not many meat-eaters knowingly or willingly consume meat from all
species of mammals - most in our culture eschew eating rats, mice, foxes,
shrews, bats, otters, voles, moles, badgers, weasels, stoats, martens, cats,
dogs, and so on, for example. The grey squirrel gets such a bad press, being
labelled 'tree rat', carrier of squirrel pox, scavenger, etc., that it's
probably thought of as being in the 'vermin' category, which would probably
make its flesh difficult to market successfully.[/i][/color][/i][/color]

Point taken, but that still doesn't make Malcolm's suggestion
'unscientific'. Impracticable, maybe.

Fanciful, maybe.- Hide quoted text -

Whimsical, perchance.- Hide quoted text -

Fanciful and whimsical, perhaps, but not impossible and far from
inedible, I'm assured. That being said, I'm not sure how fnaciful or
whimsical it is, after all dormice and guinea pigs are eaten in many
parts of the world, and rabbits and hares, which are more or less
closely related to squirrels, are very popular here in Britain so why
should squirrel casserole taste so different?

How does one tell the age of a squirrel? Although I'm more than happy
to feed the buzzards and kites with the carcasses of my squirrels, I
do sometimes wish I could be keep the younger ones back for the pot.[/quote]

There was a restaurant serving squirrel paté as a starter, but had to stop when the animal rights activists threatened to torch the place.