Old 17-10-2007, 04:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default Stapelia gigantica

Thanks Patty, not to my knowledge?
This is what Someone posted:-
"It's a brilliant plant, it attracts the flies, which are supposed to
pollinate it however I have never seen anything like a seed pod. The flies
hang around as you see, lay their eggs near the centre (after having
ostensibly pollinated the flower) , the fly larva hatch - and starve to
death because there is no carrion for them to eat!"
I didn't even sniff it & only notice the eggs after taking the photo.
Cheers Wendy
"Patty Peeples" wrote in message
Wow Wendy...now that is a very odd and neat looking plant. cool shot.
Does the plant eat flies?
Patty

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Stapelia gigantica complete with flies!