Old 04-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Gayle Surrette

Default toxic soil?

I have a related question. How do you tell if your soil
is toxic? We bought our house last January and it was
built 13 years ago. There's a retaining wall to the side
of the house and the wood has a greenish tinge. But it's
damp there. I want to move the asparagus beds against the
retaining wall but I don't want to move them until I
can find out if the retaining wall is arsenic treated
wood. I emailed the previous owner and he's fairly
sure that he wouldn't have used treated wood because
he tried to stay organic but he's hesitant to say
positively that it's not. How can I tell?

Do I have to send a sample to a lab or something?
This is the first time I've run into this so I'm
at a loss on how to find out or even who to contact.

Gayle
Gayle Surrette STC at NOAA/NESDIS/IPD
(301) 457 5254 MAIL Address:
FB#4 Room 3045