Old 18-10-2007, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default official site to look up the scientific names of plants

On 10/17/2007 3:52 PM, Persephone wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:20:54 -0400, "Active"
wrote:

Is there an official site to look up the scientific names of plants?

I looked up oregano on the Internet and got as many different opinions as
sites I visited.

I wanted to establish the scientific name for the culinary variety (which I
believe might be the "Greek Oregano").

Got official sounding instructions but they do not agree with each other.

Thanks

I entered "scientific names of plants" into a browser and got quite a
few hits, of which this is one:

http://www.funet.fi/pub/sci/bio/life...s-index-a.html

Good hunting.

Persephone

That page does not list Westringia species.
http://www.ipni.org/index.html lists several Westringia species.

Why would I be interested in Westringia? Several W. fruticosa were just
planted at the top of the slope in my back yard.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean