Old 18-10-2007, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default We are screwed

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

"George.com" wrote in message
Not sure whether this is the correct group to state this, however. If
the
human population keeps on as it presently, the planet is screwed.

And what has brought on this sudden observation Rob? By that I mean,
has
any specific incident set off this line of thought, or is it just a
sudden
realisation?

Part 3 of a 3 part series "State of the Planet" narrated by David
Attenbrough. Part 1 & 2 were sobering enough. Essentially, there is so
much
going on around the world that is damaging our environment, remedies to
our
problems seem so piecemeal & limited, the changes to our environment that
have seen inside a mere 20 years, all leaves me pessimistic that if we
continue with business as usual we are essentially fkd. 6 billion people
place a hell of a strain on the planet, 7 or 8 or 9 billion just add woes
upon woes.

The Easter Islanders once enjoyed a diet rich in sea food. At some point
sea
food dissappeared from their diet. The reason? They cut down the last
tree
that could be used to make canoes. They lost their ability to fish. The
civilisation that had been at its peak tailed off from there. A remnant
of
Easter Islanders remained but their peak of civilisation was gone.
Generation by generation people lost a little bit but never realised,
each
generation came to believe it had 'always been that way'.

In New Zealand the govt announced for the next 10 years any new
electricity
generation will come from renewable sources, a moratorium on new thermal
generation. Even that modest step has been opposed by environmental
knuckle
draggers. "Why should NZ do anything about global warming if the likes of
the US, China & Australia don't. They pollute more than us." Indeed, why
should Aus or the US or China do anything when NZ isn't. Bury your head
in
the sand, business as usual.

If we all stand around wanking ourselves waiting for the next guy to do
something we may as well consign ourselves to continuing environmental
degredation, increasing ecological problems and social/economic fallout.
We
face enough problems already, heaven knows it boggles my mind
contemplating
the possible ramifications of what is occuring on the globe at the
moment.

Hmmm....
Ecological neanderthals who are content to sit around and masturbate
themselves so their profit/view/neighbourhood/way of life etc etc are not
unduly affected, in effect, condem us all to buggery. I am not that
confident we will address all the problems we have given the best of
intentions, ******s who are not prepared to lift a finger now give me no
hope at all that we will come even close to finding solutions.

rob

If those
"Ecological neanderthals who are content to sit around and masturbate"

They are doing their part. They will not have kids.

You worry too much, your logic is failing.
Try and get some sleep and end this thread.

Well, if it makes anyone feel better. I am doing my part:
I am happily single, have no kids (I just hope they remember to take
those pills), Electric bill always $50 / month, propane $80 / month,
gasoline $150, My garbage will fit inside in a small single grocery
bag (plastic sorry) per week . Comcast triple pay $150,
Books $100 / month ..... Ahhhhhhhhh all of those trees ... Noooooo.

It is not because I care about my environment - It is just my lifestyle.

Just do your own thing. Do not worry about such things as overpopulation
or what others do. It will only make you nuts, if not already. Focus on
life and be happy.

That is all you will hear from me on this subject
Enjoy Life ....... Dan

. . . and no one will miss you when your gone.

I lied
Enjoy Life ...... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.