Old 18-10-2007, 03:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default groundcovers

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am a very non-gardener. But, I need a groundcover to cover an area
about 400sq ft. I live in eastern PA. the area is a somewhat sloped
and is partial shade. I want something inexpensive that grows,
spreads quickly. OK if it is invasive. I want it to choke out
weeds. prefer something that is not too high, say 6" or so. Also,
is it too late to plant it now (mid Oct)?

thanks

Lamium "Beacon Silver" will do the trick. Works nicely in Western NY, so
your climate won't present any problems. Spreads quickly, but easy to pull
if it travels to spots where you don't want it.

In this picture, it looks more like a mound than a ground cover, but we
don't know what's underneath the plant:
http://www.stauder.net/bildearkiv/Lamium%20maculatum%20'Beacon%20Silver'%20RS.jpg

It's the light colored patch near the bottom.

Pachysandra will also work, but it spreads more slowly.