Old 18-10-2007, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Moonflower bush (Datura)

In article ,
Puddin' Man wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:18:44 -0500, Jangchub wrote:

Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:37:51 -0500, Puddin' Man
wrote:

Hi,

I am in the midwest US.

I finally got a moonflower bush (Datura) started in my front yard about
2 months ago. It was a transplant and was in "intensive care" for a week
or so, then started growing like crazy and flowering beautifully.

The basic plant still looks quite healthy, but it stopped flowering
about 5 weeks ago. Other datura's in the 'hood have been flowering
very nicely.

Any ideas as to why my moonflower stopped flowering?

Datura has many forms and the most common is D. inoxia or D. wrightii.
They bloom in cycles of a month to six weeks. They need cool nights
to set bloom, so in heat they may slow down a bit. It is only root
hardy to USDA Zone 8. I have many forms of this plant. If you remove
the seed pods left behind by the last bloom cycle you may encourage
it to bloom again.

I'm pretty sure I've got D. inoxia.

I clipped the brown pods off some time ago. The green pods are
still on the plant.

There are about 3 tiny "shoots" on the plant. I noticed that one fell
off yesterday without blooming.

Thanks,

"Well, there's two trains runnin'.
Ain't neither one goin' my way.
One run at midnight,
the other run just before day."
- from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949

Datura usually = toxic.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley