Old 18-10-2007, 01:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
[email protected] r.mcgillicuddy@gmail.com is offline

Default New Zealand Seasonal Prospects?

On Oct 18, 6:13 pm, Usenet2...@THE-
DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:

Are there any other NZ gardeners with specific plans or info on
the forecast? MetService's site is a bit hard to figure out, as
far as this medium term (next few weeks.) I am in Wellington.

Thanks...

I'm no expert but this cold snap will keep soil temperatures low and
there will be no advantage to planting early, or this weekend. As an
experiment (in the Hawkes Bay) I planted dwarf bean seedlings about a
month ago - purchased at Supermarket. It was pure experiment as I
knew we would probably get frosts. We did - some beans survived but
they simply haven't grown. Reminded me years ago, in the Wairarapa,
spending a great deal of time with early tomatoes nurturing them
tenderly, protecting with them plastic and newspaper - but which
fruited at the same time as those planted weeks later! Seems Nature
will have her way!