Old 18-10-2007, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Fig bount!

, I, Marvo, say :

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:16:38 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

, I, Marvo, say :

p.k. writes
Steve Wolstenholme wrote:

I went off figs when I read about the way they are pollinated.

Why?

The flowers are inside what we know as the fig. They are pollinated
by wasps which enter the fig, and the fig and the wasps have
co-evolved into an intricate interweaving of life stages, whereby
the fig produces I think 3 different types of flower in the year,
to adapt to different stages of the wasp lifecycle. If I remember
correctly, at one stage the male wasps live their whole life in the
fig ... but it is very complicated and I may be misremembering.

Wow!

I am intrigued now. Figs are best raw IMHO, unless they are green in
which case they are best tinned.

All colours of figs are fab raw when very, very ripened in lots of
sunshine. Tinned or dried figs are a pale, pale shadow of the genuine
article.
Also, they should *always* be opened *before* eating - don't bite into
an unopened one, or be prepared for a potential surprise.

Cat(h)

I've always wondered about those crunchy figs ...